Thursday, January 17, 2008

Statement from Mayor Rudy Giuliani on the Law of the Sea Treaty

http://www.joinrudy2008.com/article/pr/948



October 30, 2007



TodayMayor Giuliani made the following statement on the Law of the Sea Treaty today which the Senate Foreign Relations Committee will begin consideration of tomorrow:



"I oppose ratification of the Law of the Sea Treaty. I believe the treaty is well intentioned, and I appreciate the hard work of U.S. negotiators who sought to resolve problems in the treaty first identified by President Reagan. I also understand the arguments of those – particularly in our military – who claim that this treaty will enhance America’s ability to guarantee freedom of the seas for all peace-loving nations."



"But I believe that the treaty is fundamentally flawed. I cannot support the creation of yet another unaccountable international bureaucracy that might infringe on American sovereignty and curtail America’s freedoms. I oppose ratification of this treaty as long as it fails to address these concerns."

No comments: